Sunday, January 13, 2013

52 Weeks, 52 Races - Race 1: CJRRC Hangover 5K - Tamaques Park - Westfield, NJ

I've been known to make goals that may or may not be feasible, possible, or even plausible.  I like to think big, but sometimes I think too big, spread myself too thin, and accomplish nothing.  You may or not may not have seen my goals for 2011.  That was good sport, but words are wind.
Yes, I love A Song of Fire and Ice, so what?!
This year's big, hairy audacious goal (BHAG)  is to run 52 races of any length and type though probably predominantly 5Ks in 52 weeks.  That's 52 races in a year for those of you who can't do the conversion. Given the time it takes to run a race and the cost to run then, I feel it's a pretty big, hairy, and audacious.  Let's not forget the first 12 weeks and the last 4 weeks tend to be rather cold, there are usually a number of mercilessly hot ones even in NJ.  Let's also not forget that I work full time and I'm also working on my PhD in chemistry.  I have a lot on my plate and running is just filling it up more.
So if this was to happen at all, it had to start early.  I could think of no earlier time than noon on New Year's Day.  Well, I guess I could have done one of those midnight runs but I planned on keeping my streak of inebriated NYE's intact.  It stretches back at least 10 year's now and I don't plan on ending it.  Luckily, Baconlb is the best girlfriend a blogger/runner/chemist/PhD student could have and she was more than willing to watch me punish myself at noon on New Year's Day.  She was both more sober than me and not committed to running anything.
She had planned a surprise birthday party for my 31st birthday at the Westfield 5 mile Turkey Trot in the same location.  
SURPRISE!
Look at all of those candles!
The picture was actually taken at The Office in Westfield following the race, but it was still my birthday and the best birthday party I have ever had so I'm going to include it.  This is my blog and I do what I want.
Here's me feeding Don because I wanted to.
Both the Turkey Trot and the Hangover 5K guided us through the area surrounding Tamaques Reservation in Westfield, NJ.


View Larger Map
Westfield is where the rich folks live in Union County.  Several of my real world job bosses live in Westfield.  I don't live in Westfield but I aspire to.  In regards to the running, both races started with what I am estimating to be 0.75 mile loop around the park about one and a half times.  During the beginning of both times I wondered to myself if we would only be doing laps around the park.  We did not.  The courses wound their way through the lovely suburban neighborhoods.  During both runs, I passed someone who had been injured and was lying on the ground while they were attended to by event staff.  Both times I wore the same Waynesboro Football T-Shirt. (The coaching staff are Friends of PoMiFoS. I was invited to join the staff as 'Mental Toughness' Coach.  The commute was too long so I had to decline.)
Go Indians!
The big Asian guy and the drum stick head band were only at the Turkey Trot.  Note the special number Baconlb got me for the race on my 31st birthday!
Overall, I enjoyed running around the Tamaques Reservation area.  Like most of Central NJ, the area is pretty flat which allows for quick times.  I felt pretty good about my time considering the circumstances for both runs.  The Turkey Trot was one of the longer runs I had attempted since the Tough Mudder more than a month prior.  The Hangover 5K featured me with a hangover.  While Baconlb waited for me at the finish line she heard about someone having trouble along the side of the course.  She assumed it was me vomiting.  Given the cold sweats and headache I had during the drive I can't blame her.  The Hangover 5K was just one tiny step this year.  Hopefully it continues with 51 more!

I'm the big gray blob that appears to be waving


0 comments: